Here’s what happened:
- I was photographing from a distance through a crowd, not completely unusual, but it just felt strange.
- My camera stopped working and wouldn’t take a picture.
- The memory card was full from a previous event and I didn’t realize it until already shooting part of the ceremony. This meant I hadn’t actually taken a picture.
- I went outside to try and fix the camera and the replacement part I had was bad (not sure why I had a replacement part that look like an old computer modem that had been set on fire – dreams are weird).
- As I was attempting to fix the camera I heard “let no one tear asunder”, which means the first kiss was coming and I was not there.
- I remember thinking I’m going to get sued.
- I ran back inside only to discover I left my lens outside where I was “repairing” the camera. I went to grab another lens from my bag and thats when I woke up.
Now, typically bad dreams leave you frazzled when you first wake up. Surprisingly I wasn’t this time. Here’s why: This would never happen to me.
Equipment malfunctions and worrying about missing shots, definitely happens. But, all of this would never be an issue because I have systems and procedures in place to deal with things that can happen.
- I’d make sure I was in the best possible location, all things considered. I also have my wife second shoot wedding ceremonies so we have multiple angles without being disruptive.
- If my camera stopped working I would simply grab my back up gear and continue shooting. I’d be concerned, but I’d worry about fixing the camera later.
- I clear all my memory cards long before arriving to photograph and take test shots before getting started on the off chance I missed a card.
- I would never leave the room. I don’t even like stepping away when the vendor meals are being served.
- See #2 – Back Up Gear! and #4
- Super scary thought, but I run a real business, which means I have contracts and insurance. I hope this is never an issue, but I’m prepared and protected if it ever is.
- See #2 and #4 again.
I run my business on systems and procedures and I’m continually improving both. These process help things to run smoothly for myself and my clients. I woke up from this nightmare and felt fine, because I knew things would never happen the way they did in my dream.
Now if only I could figure out the dream with the unicycle and the talking monkey…